ICSI treatment or Intracytoplasmic sperm injection treatment is a very effective means of fertilizing the eggs in a lab after retrieving the eggs from the woman's body. The treatment is generally used in case of male infertility problems and makes use of specialized equipment for selecting sperms and injecting it into the egg. Some of the common cases where ICSI treatment is used:
- In the cases of couples who do not prefer insemination of donor sperms
- When the male partner has a low sperm count or motility
- Previous IVF attempts have failed
- If the number of mature eggs that are fertilized in the normal manner is very low
- The number of eggs for egg retrieval is very low. When ICSI is used in such a case, a larger number of eggs can get fertilized, as compared to the usual insemination done by mixing the sperm and the eggs
- When the woman has a low ovarian reserve
- Low quality eggs
The ICSI Treatment Process
The ICSI treatment is performed after the eggs are retrieved from the female partner:
- A specialized pipette is used for holding the mature egg
- A special, sharp needle is used for picking up one sperm
- The hollow needle holding the single sperm is inserted through the eggshell and it penetrates the core of the egg
- Once the sperm has been successfully injected into the cytoplasm, the needle is removed
- After 1-2 days, the eggs are checked for fertilization
Some ICSI Facts
It has been seen that when the ICSI process is carried out in IVF programs, 75% of the eggs that are injected with the sperm get fertilized. If you are a couple who has not had success with the standard IVF procedure, where the sperm and egg are brought together in the normal or conventional way, you can opt for ICSI.
The Success Rates
It has a higher sucess rate compared to stardard IVF. In these cases, the egg quality and quantity tends to be good, as the procedure is usually conducted in cases of male infertility related problems. If you are wondering about the success rates of IVF with ICSI, its depends on factors such as:
- Individual patient
- The ICSI technique being used
- Skill of the person who is performing the procedure
It is also necessary to select a good clinic like Malpani Infertility Clinic as the success rate also depends on the quality of the laboratory, the egg quality and the transfer skills; the eggs need to be carefully transferred and fertilized and finally, the skills of the specialist or physician.
The ICSI treatment is an IVF procedure that involves Intracytoplasmic sperm injection into the mature egg. The process is used generally in case of male infertility problems and improves chances of success.