Curriculum Vitae -- Dr. Aniruddha Malpani
1986 M.D. Bombay University. This is a postgraduate degree in Gynecology, and is the equivalent of being Board Certified. Further training in IVF from UCSF, San Francisco, USA. 1987 D.N.B. National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
As a medical student, I studied at Harvard, Johns Hopkins and Yale; which is why I know exactly how the US medical system works (and why it's broken !)
Educational Distinctions, Honours, Prizes
- First on the Merit List for entrance to a Medical College in Bombay. Won the Bai Gangabai Sunderdas Scholarship for 1978-79.
- Awarded the National Talent Scholarship from the National Council of Educational Research and Training, New Delhi, from 1978 to 1983.
- Won the Dorab Tata Special Merit Prize from the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, Bombay.
- Awarded the Dr Shirwalker General Proficiency Scholarship for Human Anatomy and Physiology at College Competitive Examination, 1979-1980.
- Secured Distinction in Anatomy; and Physiology in the First M.B.,B.S. Examination. Highest Marks in Anatomy in Bombay University.
- Received the Chaturbhaj Sunderdas Scholarship for the highest marks in Anatomy, 1979.
- Won the Dr Shirwalkar Second Prize in Surgery in College Competitive Examination, 1980.
- Won the First Prize in the Leprosy Essay Competition in Bombay, organised by the Ackworth Leprosy Society.
- Won the Dowager Lady Patkar Gold Medal for securing the highest marks on the grand total at the Final M.B., B.S. Examination in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Motiben Dalvi Gold Medal for securing the highest marks on the grand total at the Final M.B., B.S. Examination in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Dr R S Poredi Gold Medal for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Dr Vishnu Juvekar Prize for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Shri Kund Bhalja Prize for Medicine, for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Dr P F Soonawala Prize for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Dr Keikhushroo Kanga Scholarship for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Pandit Dube Scholarship for the highest marks in Medicine in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Dr Ganesh Kurulkar Prize for the highest marks on the aggregate in Bombay University, 1982.
- Won the Sohrab Hakim Memorial Prize for standing first in competitive examination in Ophthalmology in K.E.M. Hospital,1982.
- Won the Dr N A Purandare Prize for standing first in the competitive examination in Gynecology and Obstetrics in K.E.M. Hospital, 1982.
- Won the Mrs Desa Memorial Prize for standing first in Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Final M.B.,B.S. Examination in K.E.M. Hospital, 1982.
- Won the Krishnaji Datey Prize for standing first in Medicine at the Final M.B.,B.S. Examination in K.E.M. Hospital, 1982.
- Won the H.H. Sir Limbdi Prize for getting the highest number of aggregate marks in the Final M.B.,B.S. Examination, in K.E.M. Hospital, 1982.
- Selected for the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR) Talent Search Scheme Fellowship in the All-India Competitive Examination held in 1985.
- Won the Dr Adi Dastur Prize of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Bombay for the highest marks in Clinical. Subjects in the D.G.O. Examination, 1986.
- Won the Dr B N Purandare Prize of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Bombay for the highest marks in the D.G.O. Examination, 1986.
- Won the Dr R D Pandit Research Prize awarded by the Federation of Obstetric and Gynecologic Societies of India for the best Thesis in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1986.
- Awarded the Bombay Obstetric and Gynecologic Society M Shah. Travelling Fellowship for 1988-89, to observe advanced work in obstetrics and gynecology in Indian centres.
- Awarded the Federation of Obstetric and Gynecologic. Societies of India Ethicon Travelling Fellowship to observe advanced work in obstetrics and gynecology in Indian centers, 1989.
- Have been featured in many newspapers and magazines.
- Started India's first support group for infertile couples, Infertility Friends.
- Founded India's first and only free patient education library, HELP
- Started India's first sperm bank in 1991; and achieved India's first pregnancy after PGD in 1999.
He has authored 5 books - How to Get the Best Medical Care; Successful Medical Practise; Using Information Therapy to Put Patients First; Decoding Medical Gobbledygook ; and How to Have a Baby. These are available online at www.thebestmedicalcare.com
Measurement of cervical dilatation.
- Letter to the Editor. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Vol 151, pp 147, 1985.
Pins for the neurologic examination.
- Letter to the Editor. New England Journal of Medicine. Vol 315, pp 1618, 1986.
The effect of calcium anatagonists on uterine contractions.
- The Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India. Vol 38, pp 15-17. 1988.
Second trimester abortion with ethacridine lactate plus carboprost-- which is the best time to administer the carboprost?
- Adv Contracept (1988 Jun) 4(2):151-7
Vaginal hysterectomy for high-risk patients under local anaesthesia.
- J Gynec Surgery 8: 65-67, 1992.
Vaginal hysterectomy for the management of menstruation in mentally retarded women.
- International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 1991, 35 (8): 319 - 321.
Routine prophylactic oophorectomy at the time of vaginal hysterectomy in postmenopausal women.
- Arch Gynecol Obstet (1992) 251(2):87-91
Obstetric Ultrasound Database System.
- Computers in Biology and Medicine. 1991.
New technique for managing second trimester intrauterine fetal death.
- Int J Gynaecol Obstet (1989 Mar) 28(3):295-7
Maternal effect proteins.
- Letter to the Editor. Fertility Sterility. 55: 847, 1991.
Wasted Disposable Medical Materials.
- Letter to the Editor. New England Journal of Medicine. 325: 739, 1991.
Sperm Cryobanking for Therapeutic Insemination by Donor.
- Bombay Hospital Journal. 32: 76-79, 1990.
Simplifying Assisted Conception Techniques to Make Them Universally Available - a view from India.
- Human Reproduction. Vol 7, N 2. 1992, pp 49-50.
Office Techniques for Sperm Processing to Enhance Male Fertility.
- Bombay Hospital Journal. Aug 1990.
Guest Editor, Invited to edit special issue of Bombay
Hospital Journal on Infertility. April 1993.
Testicular sperm extraction with ICSI as rescue treatment for severe male infertility.
- Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology of India.
TSEICSI - The end of male infertility?
- Internet Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. http://www.obgyn.net.
Sperm Cryobanking for AID.
- Invited article. Biomed. Oct-Nov 1993. pp 42-45.
A New Technique to End Male Infertility.
- Invited article. Biomed. Jul-Aug 1996.pp 68-69.
Sperm Cryopreservation for Sperm Banking.
- Invited to author this Chapter in the book, Infertility Update, published by the Federation of Obstetric and Gynecologic Societies of India, Dec 1994.
Making IVF Affordable.
- Medicine Digest. October 1993. pp 9 - 14.
How the Family Physician can Help the Infertile Couple.
- Family Physician's Digest. April-May 1994. pp 29-35.
Active Management of Infertility.
- Bombay Hospital Journal. Vol 35 Number 2. April 1993. pp 11-12.
Ultrasound guided procedures for treating infertility.
- Bombay Hospital Journal. Vol 35 Number 2. April 1993. pp 67-70.
How the GP can help the infertile couple.
- Bombay Hospital Journal. Vol 35 Number 2. April 1993. pp 164-165.
Retrieval of epididymal sperm.
- Fertil Steril (1996 Feb) 65(2):448
Microinjection using Testicular Sperm - A new Treatment Option for treating Azoospermic men.
- Indian Journal of Urology. (Sept 1997) 14: 45-47.
Correlation between testicular histology and outcome after intracytoplasmic sperm injection using testicular spermatozoa
- Hum Reprod (1996 Nov) 11(11):2567
Doctor.com: Why should a doctor have his own website?
- J Postgrad Med. 2001 Jan-Mar;47(1):40-1.
HELP - the Health Education Library for People, India's first Consumer Health Education Resource Centre.
- Health Expect. 1999 Mar;2(1):71-72.
Health library in India works to empower patients.
- BMJ. 1999 Sep 18;319(7212):785.
Putting new drugs to good use.
- Hum Reprod. 1999 Feb;14(2):572.
Inappropriate use of new technology: impact on women's health.
- Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1997 Jul;58(1):159-65.
Invited by the Obstetric and Gynecologic Societies of Gwalior, Indore, Surat, Bombay, to give talks on Infertility.
Invited by Bombay Obstetrics and Gynecologic Society to give Plenary Guest Lecture on Cryopreservation in Assisted Reproductive Technology in the Bombay Ob/Gyn Society Annual Conference, 1995.
Invited to present Workshop on Promoting Patient Choice - An International Perspective, organised by the King's Fund at an International Conference on Promoting Patient Choice held in London in October 1997.
Invited to give lectures at many IVF conferences as a faculty member and expert.
His passion is patient empowerment; and he believes that using Information Technology to deliver Information Therapy to patients can heal a sick healthcare system ( www.patientpower.in)
He has pioneered the use of innovative technology to educate infertile couples, using cartoon films , comic books and e-learning on his website, www.ivfindia.com. He has also setup a virtual IVF clinic on Second Life; and is exploring the use of IVR and SMS to educate infertile couples on their mobile.
He is an angel investor in Plus91 ( www.plus91.in) , a company which provides websites for doctors; and PEAS ( www.peasonline.com) , India's market leader for creating digital media for patient education. He is on the Board of IKS ( www.inventurus.com), which provides healthcare revenue cycle management ( RCM ) services for US physicians.