Email this link to a friend.
Summary: The list of top ten fallacies of fertility highlights the common misconceptions related to fertility and is a wakeup call for women who may need IVF in the future.
Most women live under the mistaken assumption that they are fertile until they are forced to visit a doctor. They seem to ignore the possibility of their being infertile infertility until they have exhausted themselves, and all their home remedies have failed them. Julie Vargo and Maureen Regan have written a very interesting book based on this. It is called 'A Few Good Eggs: Two Chicks Dish on Overcoming the Insanity of Infertility'. It is a humorous take on the topic of infertility.
- You can have a baby easily until you're at least forty-five.
The biological clock for every woman is different and some may continue to get anovulatory cycles until the age of 55. The truth is that as as age advances the number of fertile eggs goes on decreasing.
- Menopause happens to women in their fifties.
Menopause is not restricted to some age and can happen anytime when the body runs out of eggs. 10 years before menopause, the body goes through oopause , when the fertility goes down.
- If you are young at heart, so is your body.
This unfortunately is not true. The body will always go through its natural cycle of ageing.
- If_______________ (fill in the blank with your favorite post forty pregnant celeb) can do it, so can I.
The particular celebrity may have gone in for IVF treatment, or used donor eggs to have a baby . These celebrities do not disclose every detail of conception publicly.
- Once I stop using birth control and have unprotected sex, I'll get pregnant right away.
Nature has its own way of dealing with this issue. Natural conception is not always possible easily.
- If I eat right, exercise regularly and don't smoke, my body will be able to carry a baby whenever I am ready.
The physical health of a woman is not directly related to her fertility level. Sometimes even perfectly fit women need to visit a fertility center for conception related problems.
- It's no big deal if I can't get pregnant. My doctor can always get me there.
It is true that Medical technology has grown by leaps and bounds in the field of infertility treatment. But even today there are some problems like poor quality eggs, which are tough to tackle, even with IVF. IVF is not a panacea for all infertility problems!
- You can never be too thin.
Infertility is one of the dangers of being too thin or anorexic.
- Nobody I know would ever use donor eggs!
This is private information and mostly stays so.
- When I want to get pregnant, it will just happen.
It would be great if this happened in reality , but sometimes it doesn't.Need help in clearing up your own infertility myths?
Free Email Consultation for IVF
Dr. Malpani will be happy to provide you answers to your queries onlineConsult Now
Latest ArticlesRead More
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
Wednesday, June 23, 2021
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Most Viewed Articles
Friday, September 4, 2020
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
Thursday, March 7, 2019
Saturday, June 22, 2019
Thursday, August 15, 2019