Email this link to a friend.
When you are undergoing IVF treatment, the basal temperature of your body rises. This is why it’s important to follow certain instructions. Here are a few tips on how to monitor your BBT while you are undergoing IVF treatment.
Ovulation type medical thermometer
In the luteal phase of the cycle, the hormone progesterone is produced by the corpus luteum; this increases the BBT (basal body temperature). If the BBT stays at that elevated level for a few days, you can assume that ovulation has taken place. However, it’s very important to keep in view that the BBT chart can’t really predict ovulation; it can’t tell you when this is going to take place.
There was a time when doctors felt that this chart was a very useful tool. It gave the patient the ability to determine for herself whether she is ovulating; in addition, it gave the approximate date of ovulation as well. BBT charts aren’t difficult to obtain and all you need is a BBT thermometer. Here are some basic instructions to keep the BBT chart:
- The chart starts on the 1st day of menstrual flow. You would have to enter the date here
- Every morning, right after you wake up & before you get out of bed or do anything else, place the thermometer under your tongue for a minimum of 2 minutes. This has to be done every morning, except during your period.
- Make an accurate note of the temperature reading on the graph. You have to place a dot at the correct point. The days of intercourse have to be indicated with a cross
- Note any obvious reason for any temperature variation such as fever or colds on the graph just above the reading for that particular day
- One major limitation of the Basal Temperature Test is that it doesn’t give you a prior indication about when you are going to ovulate. This is why its functionality in timing sex during the fertile periods is negligible
- Most patients find it very difficult to interpret the BBT chart. These charts rarely ever look like the ones that are depicted in books
- It can be very stressful to keep a BBT chart. It isn’t really fun to take your temperature the first thing in the morning, every single day for an extended period of time.
- The other negative is that eventually you find that the BBT chart is dictating your sex life
This is why, though this chart was considered to be a very useful method, it has very limited utility in the present day. Today, there are a number of newer and more accurate methods available. We always advice our patients not to check their BBT; it is nothing but a waste of time.
Not happy with the attention you are getting from your IVF clinic? Need more information? Please send me your medical details by filling in the form at www.drmalpani.com/free-second-opinion so that I can guide you!
Free Email Consultation for IVF
Dr. Malpani will be happy to provide you answers to your queries onlineConsult Now
Latest ArticlesRead More
Wednesday, January 13, 2021
Wednesday, January 6, 2021
Monday, December 21, 2020
Most Viewed Articles
Friday, September 4, 2020
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Thursday, March 7, 2019
Saturday, June 22, 2019
Thursday, August 15, 2019