Fertility is usually considered to be the woman's department, which is why most women feel that they are obligated to take a battery of fertility tests, while their husbands do nothing.
Testing is an important part of understanding why a seemingly normal, healthy couple is not conceiving . Here are some of the common female fertility tests recommended by fertility specialists from all over the world.
The doctor would first like to interview you and talk about your:
- Medical history
- Past surgeries
- Birth control methods
- Sexual life and history
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Previous pregnancies and their outcomes
- Questions on the menstrual cycle
Once the doctor takes down a detailed medical history , other tests are usually recommended:
- Ovulation Tests- There are several tests to detect whether a woman is ovulating normally. A home ovulation test strip can help detect if the woman is ovulating, by detecting elevated levels of the luteinizing hormone. Levels of progesterone may be checked through a blood test or the woman may be recommended to have trans-vaginal ultrasounds to check for the maturation of follicles and their rupture. The ultrasound scans help understand a woman's cycle much better
- Tests for Tubal patency Organs- A hysterosalpinogram, using a liquid dye, is used to detect the health and potential blockages in the Fallopian tubes. Trans-vaginal ultrasound may be performed to check the health of the uterus and the ovaries.
Other female fertility tests include:
- Blood hormonal tests, to check for AMH, FSH,LH,prolactin and TSH levels