Email this link to a friend.
Some infertility solutions do not require medical intervention. Self-Insemination is simple in practice and can be done at home with a partner or even by yourself.
DIY (do-it-yourself) or self-insemination, is a method in which the woman (or her partner) inserts semen into the vagina herself, without medical intervention. This is a useful technique for couples with sexual dysfunction (eg inability to consummate the marriage because of impotence or vaginismus); when the husband cannot perform sexual intercourse for any reason on the fertile days; or for single women or lesbians.
It's surprisingly easy to learn to do, but because most women know so little about their own anatomy, most are very uncomfortable even attempting to try it. This guide should help you with the basics, but the only way to learn is by doing it.
You can also ask your doctor for help and she may be able to guide you in the beginning. Some couples may get turned off by the idea, because it is so 'clinical', with a little bit of imagination, and your husband's cooperation, you can make it fun! test
So what do you need? Very little, really.
The most important ingredient is a freshly ejaculated semen sample!
The timing of the insemination is very important, and you need to do it during your "fertile days". When you are using the Malpani Baby Kit for doing your self-insemination, it's very helpful to know what your peak fertile days are , so you can do the inseminations on those days to maximise your chances of getting pregnant quickly.You can use the Free Malpani Clinic Online Fertility Calculator to determine your peak fertility dates.
- You can choose to get the fertile days for the next 3 months to over the next 1 year.
- Once you have the dates, you can set up Free Email Reminders
The Calculator calculates your most fertile days based on the fact that:
- Ovulation occurs 14 days before the next menstrual period is due.
- Fertility peaks on the day of ovulation and for 4 days prior to this.
We can do this automatically for you at Here
Ask your husband to ejaculate in a clean sterile plastic container. Make sure this is wide-mouthed, so it's easier for him to aim accurately ' you don't want any of it to spill out! Sometimes getting a sample can be difficult, and you may need to seduce your husband! Using a vibrator, or liquid paraffin as a lubricant can help enormously.
After the semen sample has liquefied (this takes about 30 minutes), you are now ready to perform the procedure. Ask your husband to put on disposable gloves and then suck up the semen sample into the sterile disposable plastic Pasteur pipette by squeezing on the bulb of the Pipette. We provide this medical grade pipette ( the same one we use in our IVF lab) in our self insemination kit. Some people use syringes, but this is not ideal.
Read more- Self Insemination Kits in India
- The semen now needs to be squirted into your vagina, and this is the tricky part
- You need to lie on a bed, with your knees and thighs bent, and your knees wide apart, so that your husband can see your vulva clearly
- He then guides the loaded Pasteur Pipette into your vagina (he can do this just by feel, by inserting the left index finger into your vagina and using this to guide the pipette which is in his right hand).
- He can put the Pipette in as deep as he wants . Don't worry - it won't get lost. He then squeezes the bulb of the pipette, depositing the semen into the vagina
- You may find it easier to lie on the edge of the bed so that your hips protrude over the edge.
- Putting a pillow under your hips can make it easier for your husband to perform the insemination
- You can remain to lie on your back for about ten minutes, after which you can resume normal activity. Some of the semen will leak out, and this is normal
- While using a speculum is not essential, it can help, because it makes it easier to inject the semen at the mouth of the uterus (the cervix)
- You can use a disposable plastic speculum, which we provide in our kit. When you insert the speculum, make sure the blades are closed.
- You can slide it in upwards, or else sideways, turning it when it has been pushed all the way into your vagina
- When the handles are above your pubic bone, squeeze them together, which will open your vaginal walls. You will hear a click when the speculum is locked open
- If your husband holds a torch, he'll be able to see your cervix, which is round and pink with an opening (the os) in the middle. The mucus may appear as a clear bubble or a thread like raw egg-white
- You can use a mirror to see what's going on for yourself if you so desire! After the insemination, make sure that you release the handles and collapse the blades before removing it from your vagina.
You should try to inseminate about 3 times a month during your fertile period. You can inseminate daily if you like. The more inseminations you do in a cycle, the better your chances.
Here are some queries patients often ask.
" We are planning for baby due to painful sex. We are trying home insemination. Through Youtube , we tried with a syringe last time . What we observed is almost all the liquid injected into vagina was coming out along with the syringe when it is pulled out. While surfing we came across your video and we are planning to buy your DIY kit.
Have a few queries could you please provide your inputs.
1. With your kit ,when we insert the speculum ,won't it cause burning or pain inside vagina ? In that case can we use lubricant provided in your kit to apply on speculum or please suggest how to loosen vagina. I don't get lubrication properly.
You don't need to use the speculum if you don't want to. It's easy to insert the soft plastic pasteur pipette deep into your vagina . This will automatically deposit the semen near the cervix.
2. Through the pipette should we drop semen near the cervical opening or should insert pippet slightly to cervix opening.
Near the cervix is fine. Sperm can swim and will find their way to the cervical mucus, so please don't worry about this
3. With my previous experience injecting through a syringe I noticed almost all liquid came out of vagina, what should we do to make semen stay inside vagina.
Lie down with a pillow under your hips for a few minutes after the insemination
Leakage is normal . This happens after sexual intercourse as well, because the vagina is a closed blind tunnel/sheath
4.After sperm ejaculation how long the sperm should be kept outside, I mean should we wait before inserting into vagina after semen collection.
15 min is enough for it to liquefy
5. Is it necessary to get naturally lubricated inside vagina and get orgasm during this process ?
No, there is no relationship between sexual arousal, orgasm and fertility
5. Can the kit be delivered to my hometown which is small taluk in Karnataka.
Please have realistic expectations of the chances of success. The chance of getting pregnant is about 10% per cycle - and if you are not pregnant in 6 months, you need to go to a doctor for additional assistance. You can assemble your own self-insemination kit and this should contain:
- Semen container (wide-mouthed plastic jar)
- Lubricant (liquid paraffin) to help your husband, if needed
- Disposable sterile plastic Pasteur pipette
- Disposable paper/rubber gloves
Alternatively, you can buy a Self Insemination Kit from us by ordering it online.
- Cervical cap
- Plastic speculum
Courier costs are Rs 400 for delivery outside Mumbai
Malpani Infertility Clinic Pvt.Ltd.
Citi Bank N.A. Fort Branch ,293,D.N.RD.Mumbai 400001.
Current A/C NO- 0451062115
IFSC Code--CITI 0100000
Bank MICR NO-- 000037000.
Free Email Consultation for IVF
Dr. Malpani will be happy to provide you answers to your queries onlineConsult Now
Latest ArticlesRead More
Saturday, April 17, 2021
Saturday, April 17, 2021
Saturday, April 17, 2021
Most Viewed Articles
Friday, September 4, 2020
Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Thursday, March 7, 2019
Saturday, June 22, 2019
Thursday, August 15, 2019