For a patient who chooses the surrogacy option to have a baby, it’s never an easy task. As a matter of fact, the entire process becomes so nerve-wracking for infertile couples that they find it even more difficult to come to terms with their infertility. Couples who are considering surrogacy should understand that there really is nothing abracadabra about going through this process.
It’s a challenge that you as a couple have to go through and tackle in the best possible way. All good clinics have systems in place that can help couples through this tedious and time-consuming process. Of course, there are certain things you would have to manage on your own- the most important one is to identify a very good clinic where you can do IVF.
Read more about Surrogacy
Finding a surrogate- the procedure
- Identify a good clinic- Sure, your aim is to find a surrogate, but even before that, you will have to find a very good IVF clinic. Once you have located a surrogate, you would still have to do IVF to transfer your embryos into the surrogate; its why identifying a good clinic should be your first priority. Many clinics help their patients find surrogates and you should be able to coordinate with them to locate one that matches your requirements.
- Choosing a surrogate – Most clinics also show their patients the profiles of a couple of potential surrogates and you can select one of those.
- Type of surrogate- Most couples opt for a gestational surrogate- she isn’t biologically related to the child and only carries it. In cases where the female partner has low quality eggs, the couple may have to consider donor egg surrogacy. It’s important that you discuss the different options with your IVF doctor before making the final choice.
- Frozen/fresh embryos- You will also have to decide whether you want to use frozen embryos from a previous cycle or do you prefer to do a new cycle.
- Legal issues – Once you have dealt with how to find a surrogate, there are a number of legal issues that have to be dealt with and sorting these isn’t an easy task. However, it’s crucial that these things be sorted first. The clinic you go to, will help with sorting these issues as well. They have the experience and the contacts and are able to liaise with legal partners that have the expertise to draft surrogacy agreements.
Couples who are considering surrogacy should understand that there really is nothing abracadabra about going through the surrogacy process. The first thing on their agenda should be to find a good IVF clinic.
Not happy with the attention you are getting from your IVF clinic? Need more information? Please send me your medical details by filling in the form at www.drmalpani.com/free-second-opinion so that I can guide you!